Kati Agócs is a composer whose music merges lapidary rigor with sensuous lyricism and is performed by leading musicians across the globe. A 2013 Guggenheim Fellow, she was recently awarded the Arts and Letters Award in Music from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, which honors outstanding artistic achievement and acknowledges the composer who has arrived at his or her own voice. The citation issued by the Academy praised "music that seems to come directly from nature... a wonderfully accessible lyricism; a subtle hint of spirituality; colourful and individual music that unfolds with both drama and complexity and takes risks with both the ideas and the use of instruments." Kati Agócs serves on the composition faculty at the New England Conservatory in Boston. For more reviews, go to the press section. To learn more about Kati, visit her biography page.
- New work (Jebediah Foundation commission) to be premiered by Boston Modern Orchestra Project and Lorelei Ensemble, January 2015
- Kati Agócs curates an orchestral concert on the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra's New Music Festival, February 2015
- The Minnesota Orchestra performs Perpetual Summer, January 2015
- The Windsor Symphony Orchestra performs Shenanigan with Robert Franz conducting, November 2014
- Ensemble Reconsil performs Immutable Dreams in Vienna, May 2015
- 50th Anniversary Commission from The Boston Symphony Orchestra Chamber Players is premiered in Boston
- Crystallography in U.S. Premiere with Collage New Music; The Boston Musical Intelligencer calls the work "a highly structured celebration of alliteration and assonance...[with] sections of misterioso chanting, thematic folksong, and dramatic exclamation—all artfully employed by Agócs." Read the full review here
- Crystallography performed on the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra's New Music Festival: VancouverClassicalMusic.com cites its "wondrous ease and flow," "exotic rhythms", and "hypnotic Bolero-like feel."
- "Shenanigan whirls with the energy, struggle, and humour of the people of our region..." Review of the Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra's performance of Agócs orchestral work in the St. John's Telegram
- Kati Agócs is named a 2013 Composition Fellow of the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
For further announcements, visit the news section.